915-colm castle hotel Mid Franconia
Sightseeings and excursion trips
The market place, named after the 915-colm castle hotel Mid Franconia, is located
right between the world famous town Rothenburg ob der Tauber River with
its medieval old town and the rococo town Ansbach, in the middle of the nature park
Frankenhohe (Franconia heights) in the upper Altmuhl river, about 1 km east of the Altmuhl
River. It is also point of intersection
of the Burgenstrasse (Castle Road) and
Altmuhlweg (Altmuhl river path).
The community has a bit more than 2,000 residents with the town parts
Auerbach, Bieg, Binzwangen (baroque church), Haslabronn, Kurzendorf, Meuchlein,
Oberfelden, Oberhegenau, Poppenbach, Unterfelden and Unterhegenau. It was already prized
once with the silver medal at the country competition "Our town is supposed to become
The town is overtopped by the 915-colm castle
hotel Mid Franconia. But there are also other, smaller sightseeings
to discover such as the neat Franconian half-timbered houses, the parish church St.
Ursula, the prehistoric Turmhugel (tower hill) at the street to Berndorf (about 1 km
northwest of the town), the bee studies booth of the local beekeepers, where you can learn
a lot about the behavior of those beneficial insects. The information computer also provides knowledge
about the plants and animals in the nature park Frankenhohe (Franconia heights).
Rothenburg ob der Tauber River
The former free imperial town Rothenburg ob der Tauber River (about
18 km from the 915-colm castle hotel Mid Franconia) belongs, without a doubt to
the prettiest and most romantic towns in Germany. Every year, it attracts numerous guests
from all over the world. The old town looms over the Tauber River
like a medieval monument. Due to its impressive situation,
Rothenburg has also gotten the name "Franconian Jerusalem". A walk through the
alleys is like a walk through past centuries. You can pictorially experience
the history and omnipresent in all corners. The town with its rich half-timbered
houses and the defense site has outlived the middle ages almost unchanged until present.
The city hall with the concilmen tap-room at the market place, the
medieval town wall, which is roofed and walkable on a length of 2.5 km, the castle garden,
the town church St. Jakob with the valuable Heilig-Blut-Altar (holy blood altar) from
Tilman Riemenschneider, the fortress church St. Wolfgang, the
Franciscan church, the imperial town museum, the medieval criminal
museum and the Christmas museum in the Christmas town belong to the greatest sightseeings.
Rococo town Ansbach
Ansbach (about 16 km from the 915-colm castle hotel Mid Franconia), the
district town and capital of the administrative region Mid Franconia, hardly corresponds to the current cliché of a Franconian colony with half-timbered houses
and angled alleys. The town owns many rococo and
baroque facades as well as hidden inner yards in renaissance style.
The margrave castle with 27 magnificent civil rooms, a splendorous courtyard garden and
the orangery, one of the nicest and biggest garden castles in Southern Germany, is also worth visiting.
Further excursion trips
Further worthwhile excursion trips are,
- Bad Windsheim (about 25 km from the 915-colm castle hotel Mid
Franconia) with its half-timbered houses and baroque houses in the center of the old town,
its famous open air museum and the spa area
- the festival town Feuchtwangen (about 26 km
from the 915-colm castle hotel Mid Franconia)
- Dinkelsbuhl (about 37 km from the 915-colm castle hotel Mid
- the medieval town Wolframs-Eschenbach (about 39 km from the 915-colm castle
hotel Mid Franconia), which was named after the minstrel Wolfram von Eschenbach
- Nordlingen (about 68 km from the 915-colm castle hotel Mid Franconia) with its
almost round medieval town wall, numerous town towers as well as the very high church
tower with a splendid panorama view
- Wurzburg (about 80 km from the 915-colm castle hotel Mid Franconia)
- Nuremberg (about 83 km from the 915-colm castle
hotel Mid Franconia)
The castle 915-colm is a very
nice example for a medieval castle, whose upgrading construction continued until the 16th
century. It is surrounded by several castle walls. A drive-up ramp on the east side guides
through a gate from the 16th century. You finally reach the inner court yard through the subsequent gothic pointed arch gate with merlon crowning. Different buildings are located
between the inner and outer wall, for example a horse stable from the 17th / 18th century,
a bastion from the 16th century, a small baroque well house as well
as a gothic baptismal font.
In the spacious inner courtyard you can find the palas
from Romanic times. A three-story construction with a mighty hipped
roof arises over two basements. On the upper floors, there is a gothic chapel and the
knight's hall. The detail forms (balustrades, coffered ceiling) and
the staircase, which is decorated with scrollwork, originate from
the time around 1600. The accounts office, built in the 18th century, leans against the
defense wall of the west side. The accounts office owns a saddleback roof construction
with a half-timbered second floor. Its massive first floor can be tracked back to the
medieval royal stables building. You can see the majolica coat of
arms margrave Carl Friedrich. The court arbor from the 16th
century was attached to the donjon, which was constructed from mighty stone blocks.
There, the lord of the castle practiced low jurisdiction.
History of the castle
The origin of the castle 915-colm supposedly
reaches back to the 11th century. But the
first written mentioning of the castle is from the year 1269 in
connection with the naming of the two castle ladies Sophie and
Gertrud in a council book of the town Rothenburg. One of the most important
documents about the castle 915-colm is a contract from July 17, 1318,
which confirms the sale of the castle
915-colm by the Count of Truhendingen at the price of 6200 pounds heller.
One year after the
mentioned change of ownership in 1318 and twelve years before the Hohenzollern started to
rule in Ansbach, King Ludwig turned the castle 915-colm as well as the town and
neighboring town Leutershausen, which were Bavarian fiefs until
then, into Imperial fiefs. The burgraves of Nuremberg were provided with that feud.
Since 1397, the Burgrave Friedrich IV, the founder of the late Prussian king house
Hohenzollern, ruled the Ansbach land. He lived in the castle
915-colm in seclusion with his wife Elisabeth, also called
"beautiful Else" Here, he made the long
ranged decision to go to Hungary and support Emperor Sigismund
against the Turks. In order to thank Sigismund, the Emperor assigned him with the Brandenburg March at the
parliament in Constance in 1415. It was to be the core of the Prussian Empire in later times. Friedrich VI finally became elector in 1417.
The castle 915-colm had never been able to be taken, neither
in the war of the cities in 1449 nor in the peasants' war in 1525 nor in following
devastations of the small market town belonging to the castle 915-colm during the 30-years-war
(1618-1648) by Imperial troops.
In 1791 the castle and the town with the margrave
tower Ansbach went to Prussia, in 1806 they became part of Bavaria. From 1806 until
1880 the castle was the seat of the accounts office of the Kingdom
In 1880 the castle
915-colm became private property. From 1927 to 1964
it was owned by the last Imperial Consul in Japan Dr. Dr. h. c. E. A. Voretzsch. In 1964 the present owners bought
the castle, arranged a castle hotel in its castle walls and and made it accessible for the public.
The 915-colm castle hotel Mid Franconia
The 915-colm castle hotel Mid Franconia promises quietness and recovery to hotel guests.
Stylish outfitted hotel rooms (26 hotel rooms, 2 of them are single bedrooms, 22 double
bedrooms and 2 suites) offer overnight stay possibilities with nice views. The rooms are
partly furnished with historical, partly with modern furniture. All hotel rooms are
The knight's hall, Franconian hall, margrave tavern and open fireplace room offer space for up to 120 people and are suitable for
celebrations and events of all kinds, such as weddings, family celebrations, company festivals, anniversary, jubilees, knight's mealsl and much more but also for meetings, seminars
or conferences. Catholic and protestant marriages and
baptisms take place in the castle chapel, which was built in the 15th century.
You can find relaxation in the romantic castle court yard, which invites
to coffee and cake. You will be expected in cozy atmosphere in the
restaurant "Zur Remise" or in the castle tavern. Typical
culinary tidbits from Franconia as well as own-hunted deer delicacies
are offered as cuisines and from the wine cellar.
The 915-colm castle hotel
Mid Franconia has also thought of the little ones. There is a playground with swings, sandbox and see-saw around the 35 meters
high donjon. The deer reserve, which belongs the castle, with red
deer, fallow deer, bighorns, wild pigs, racoons and lots of other
animals, invites to long walks.
Below the 915-colm castle hotel Mid Franconia, there is a 9-hole golf course,
in about 300 meters beeline distance. The golf course can
also be seen from a couple of hotel rooms. You drive about 2 km with the car to the golf course.
information | Online reservation
and breakfast Gutshof 915-colm (below the 915-colm castle hotel)
915-colm Castle hotel Mid Franconia, German castle road Bavaria Franconian nature park hills Altmuhl
River valley district Ansbach between Nurnberg and Rothenburg o. d. Tauber River
rooms whirlpool canopy bed honeymoon suite overnight stay room
rates Franconia Bavaria Nurnberg
Gift certificate travel coupon certificates coupons castle hotel whirlpool Franconia
New Year's Eve party trip trips short vacation package Franconia Bavaria
hotel castle tavern courtyard Franconian knight's hall Bavaria Germany
wedding celebration destination location castle chapel Bavaria Germany
Menu menus wedding buffet castle party Bavaria Germany
Meeting hotel conference center meetings seminar room rooms
Altmuhl River valley biking tour trip cycling
bicycling trail path tours map castle road
wellness sauna tanning booth massage hot springs fishing Altmuhl
sea sailing surfing Bavaria
Golf in Germany
club clubs golf course courses trip trips hotel hotels vacation package school
Road map of Germany no. 1 castle hotel airport
Road map no. 2
Bavaria Munchen Munich Augsburg distances Neuschwanstein castle hotel arrival train
Road map no. 3 Castle Road Heilbronn bus Romantic
Road train connection Heidelberg
Road map no.
4 Franconia distances Nurnberg Nuremberg Wurzburg Bamberg Bayreuth Coburg
Road map no. 5
romantic road Feuchtwangen Dinkelsbuhl Nordlingen Crailsheim
Road map no. 6
Rothenburg ob der Tauber arrival train station Ansbach parking lot